Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Easter in Lake Placid


For Easter Ben and I decided to go to Lake Placid for a nice relaxing weekend away from home. Ben had been in Bennington all week, where he is complete a one month rotation in outpatient internal medicine. I was feeling really sad, and pretty sorry for myself that he had to be away for the whole month...so I decided to plan some fun weekend trips for us to take! Somehow I was able to justify "needing" the trips since it was going to be so hard having him be gone! (I know, faulty logic, but any excuse to get away)

Thanks to our good friends Rick and Vanessa, who had already been to Lake Placid, we had plenty of ideas of things we wanted to do, and a great Bed and Breakfast we wanted to stay at.

We thoroughly enjoyed out time there....although we are planning a return trip, sometime next December or January when more of the Olympic venues will be open.

We had tickets to the NCAA Hockey Championships which ended up being so fun. Three of the four teams in the finals were from either Vermont or NY, so there were tons of fans, and we felt a loyalty to the local teams.


We had planned on taking a tour of the Ski Jumping track and the Bobsled track, but were told it wasn't really worth our time since there were no athletes training at the time. We also brought our skates and planned on skating on the Olympic Oval rink, but it was shut down for the season.

We stayed at an awesome little B&B only a couple of miles from downtown Main Street. It was called the Winterberry, and we would definitely recommend it to anyone visiting Lake Placid.



Sunday we attended the local branch, and enjoyed some great Easter talks. To end a great trip, we enjoyed some beautiful snow and sunshine, and went snowshoeing! Neither Ben or I had ever been before, and lets just say, I'm hooked! I've already been shopping online for my own gear!

Overall, we had a wonderful weekend. I'm really looking forward to April 9th when Ben will finally be done in Bennington. We're both totally fine on our own....but it is so much more fun to be together. I guess being apart makes us appreciate one another even more than we already do!

6 comments:

Burke family said...

Yeah! I'm so glad you started a blog! It is such a fun way to keep in touch. I love all of the pics from Mexico. It looks like you guys had a blast! And as for the Cadbury Mini Eggs Diet, speaking from experience... the one good thing about having the brilliant idea to freeze a year's supply is that it might possibly be the only way to make you not so addicted to Mini Eggs. Somehow they don't have quite the same deliciousness after eating them for a whole year. :) Anyways, we sure love you guys and miss you tons! I'm excited to keep up-to-date on all your fun adventures now.

Nat said...

Your trip sounded like fun! I have always wanted to try snowshoeing. Being away from your spouse definitely does make you appreciate them more- my time in Utah taught me that!! Anyway, I'm glad you had a fun Easter weekend.

Anonymous said...

HEATHER: you look like a natural in those snowshoes! I am glad they worked out. WOOT! I am so glad you liked Lake Placid. I hear it's amazing in the Summer too, because there is a ton to do as far as Summer activities are concerned; hiking, kayaking, etc. We'll have to take a weekend and go over there together!

Unknown said...

What a fun trip! You guys have all the fun! Ben is almost done in Bennington! Wow! Hopefully all their rotations fly by like this first one!

Mike and Kristin said...

Good times! Glad you had a great weekend. Church just wasn't the same without you two;)

The Mrs. said...

Heather, I found this place down on church street called "Tootsies" that has some way cute rain boots!! You should check them out! 192 college street is the address, it's across from Ben and Jerry's.