Tuesday, February 23, 2010

True Story

Ben and I went to Buffalo a couple of weeks ago to check out the area and get a feel for where we might want to live. In an attempt to be somewhat frugal...we decided to Priceline our hotel for the weekend. I was feeling pretty enthusiastic about the steal of a deal I got on our room (2 nights in prime Buffalo location for $38 a night) until I started reading reviews of the place on Trip Advisor. 41 REVIEWS OF BEDBUGS! And Priceline had the audacity of listing the hotel as THREE STAR. I can't believe we were actually contemplating staying there!



I decided to take the advice of my brother and call Priceline to try and work things out....maybe threaten to call my credit card, and hope they would refund us our money. I mean, who in their right mind would stay at such a dump after reading what I had read?

Priceline was completely unhelpful and basically told me there was nothing they could do. I then filed a claim with American Express, and they assured me they were almost positive they would be able to get us a refund. A week later I received a letter in the mail that said there was nothing they could do for us, that Priceline has a very strict "no refund" policy listed all over their website and there was no way around it.

So not only did we incur the expense of the hotel we DIDN'T stay at, we also had to find a new place to stay! Moral of the story...Priceline isn't always the best way to go!

Also, best news of the week...

First sighting of mini-eggs this season. I have a serious addiction to these. I think I need therapy!

5 comments:

The Barkers said...

I saw those at the store last time I went too! Love those! What a crappy experience with the hotel run around. Hope things are going well for you guys!

Burke family said...

Oh my gosh! You didn't get your money back?! So sorry!

And mini-eggs. You know I'm right there with you, but we've had them here for 2 weeks. We've already downed way more than I want to admit to. I'm in trouble Heather. How do we stop?!!

Leanne said...

Just FYI, if you want to use priceline, check out betterbidding.com also. It gives a list of the hotels associated with the area and the star rating based on bidding history. So, you can kind of have an idea of what you might get when you bid. Sorry about the bad experience though.

As for the mini-eggs, I'm with you (and my kids are too). Too bad you won't be here for Easter to eat some with us!

DMC Studios said...

Yuckity yuck 1,000 times over. Bleh.

Immore obsessed with butterfinger eggs right now--try one!

Laura Roberts said...

I love the Mini-Eggs comment!! They're my absolute favorite too. I don't get it--so simple but so different and amazing!