Wednesday, May 13, 2009

You get what you pay for...

I was having a conversation with a friend the other day about the idea of getting what you pay for, and how most often in the long run it's worth investing a little more in something because it ends up lasting longer and usually being more reliable. I believe this to be true in most cases. Unfortunately, I sometimes I forget that I believe this. And then when I remember I believe this, it's usually too late...and something really unfortunate or annoying has already happened.

Take for example my near death experience on Monday. I had been in Boston for the weekend for my sister's baby shower and to visit my family. The plan was to take my sister to the airport on Sunday evening and then head back to Vermont. After pulling two consecutive 3:00am nights, my brother wisely encouraged me to stay the night and head home in the morning.

I am so glad I did.

About 5 minutes from my house, but while still on the highway my car started to make the craziest thumping sound. Unfortunately it was a familiar thumping sound, one we had heard a year ago when we found out our tires had been put on incorrectly. Assuming I had a little time to deal with the problem, I started planning in my head when I would have a free morning to take it in and get it looked at. But before I could complete the thought in my head, I started to lose control of the car. I was swerving in and out of the lane and my car basically felt like it was going to tip over. So incredibly scary. I managed to pull over and inspect the damage. I was shocked to find out as I checked the tires that four of the five lug nuts on my right rear tire had completely broken off, and my tire was basically about to fall off. All I could think about was how grateful I was that it hadn't actually fallen off, and how lucky I was that I hadn't been the cause of a terrible accident. There are so many scenarios in which the ending could have been so much worse than it was....like had I left Boston as planned on Sunday and had this happen in rural Vermont late at night, or had it happened while I was going 80 on a packed Boston highway, or had I not been in a position to pull over in time.

Now comes the connection of getting what you pay for. We got new tires put on the Explorer last spring. I like to compare prices before I make large purchases. It makes me feel better about spending money if I know I'm spending the least amount of money necessary to get what I need. We had checked several places and decided that Sears was by far the most economical place. After getting the tires put on, we were out of town in small town Bennington on a Saturday and heard the loud thumping noise. Concerned that the car was unsafe to drive, we found the only local mechanic open and had him take a look. Sure enough, they had not tightened the lug nuts enough and they were all coming loose. He said that had we not come in when we did, they would have eventually snapped completely off. Oh wait, isn't that what just happened to me on Monday? After it happened the first time, I was pretty unimpressed, but Sears was very apologetic and I figured they deserved a second chance. I got my tires rotated a couple of week ago there...and they obviously did it AGAIN, only this time I drove far enough with them loose that we almost lost a tire.

So there I was, stranded, (in my pajamas none-the-less), on the side of the highway, wishing Ben was in town, feeling lucky to be alive, and cursing myself for being frugal!

The way I see it, cutting corners when it comes to automobiles isn't really the greatest idea. Probably not a big deal when it comes to no-name brand breakfast cereal, or econo-brand paper towels, but when we're talking about safety, it's probably worth it the pay a little more.

8 comments:

Julianne said...

Holy, holy moly. I'm so glad you weren't hurt, and that no one else was, either.

Have you've called and/or gone into Sears to tell them what happened. Holy cow. Now I'm sending Ryan out to check the lugnuts on our tires, too.

M said...

this is awful. you must have been entirely freaked out...i know i would have been. so glad you are okay.

Burke family said...

That's really scary! I'm glad you're safe and everything turned out ok, all things considered.

DMC Studios said...

Geez. That post scared me. No more scary posts. I'm so happy you are okay.

Danny's business partner Darin always says, "It's always cheaper to go first class." Sometimes and with some things that is sooo true.

Erica said...

Sad lesson to learn! Man I am glad you are ok! And so glad there wasn't major damage to the car because it can sometimes get messed up in a matter of minutes. Looks like you need to find someone in your ward to do it, we have found that the best. You have to be able to trust thouse guys!

Unknown said...

That is so scary! I'm glad you're okay.

Katie said...

What did you do? And why is this the first I'm hearing about this?? I'm so glad you are ok.

Ryan Smart said...

I have not ever heard of that happening--let alone twice. I know your husband is almost a doctor, but dying is not cool seriously, don't die.

I'm hoping we get to see you guys some time soon--you live WAY to far away and I'm over it.

by the way your word verification for this post was: zinosomi--I like it, sounds like a refreshing energy drink.