Thursday, December 10, 2009

Just our Luck!

So it's no real secret that I hate winter! I've always hated the cold...for as long as I can remember. People always seem so shocked to hear this. I mean how can a Canadian hate the cold?

But it's really quite simple. I just don't like it.

With this being our last winter in Vermont, we really wanted to make the most of it. Every true Vermonter tells you that in order to survive living here, you have to find something you enjoy doing during the long winter months.

And so we decided to give in and buy ski passes this year. Having skied out west, I think we were a little reluctant to do so, knowing the conditions wouldn't be great...but with Ben having more free time his 4th year, and me not working Fridays, it just seemed to work.

So is it any surprise that the year we decided to buy passes...we DON'T HAVE ANY SNOW!

I'm normally cursing the snow by this time of year...but instead, I'm praying for it! Opening day at Smuggs was on Tuesday, 9 days behind schedule. Only one of the three mountains was open, and the majority of the snow was man-made.

But it worked. And we had a blast.

I'm just hoping the temperatures will stay low ( I can't believe I'm saying this) and that the snow will start falling so I can have some power to break my falls. Tuesday was my first time snowboarding...and my knees are feeling it!



6 comments:

The Barkers said...

Ouch! But, I bet it's fun. I can't believe it's your guys last year. Are you coming to Utah for Christmas?

DMC Studios said...

WOAH your knees! It was my butt when I started. But I have a lot of cushion there so I didn't bruise too bad. I'm sorry you don't have much snow--come here!

Mortensen Family said...

All I can say is, DON'T GIVE UP ON THE BOARD! I love snowboarding. The first few times can be a drag, but once you get it, you won't want to do anything else. I miss it so much.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you're praying for snow. I mean, shot, I LOVE snow..But I know how bad you hate it. I think it's so awesome you guys are boarding this last winter here! Enjoy it! You look just great. (Meanwhile, I'll stick to snow shoeing!)

Erica said...

Good for you guys! That will be fun once the snow starts to fall. What a good way to take advantage of your last winter there! Email me your address so I can send you a Christmas card. erica.smart@gmail.com Thanks!

Jennifer Long said...

Will you email me your address for baby announcement and Christmas cards.....Jen Long P.S. snowboarding always leaves me gimpy the next day