Monday, August 31, 2009

A Hood-to-Coaster for Life

197 Miles
12,000 Runners
3,500 Volunteers
28th Annual Year
Largest Relay in the World

Our entire Team
"Inlaws and Outlaws"

I'm obsessed! This past weekend Ben and I, along with a team of ten other people ran the Hood to Coast relay in Portland, aka "The Mother of all Relays" (no really, that's what it's called).
I'm convinced I will run this race many, many more times in the future. I'm also convinced we will live in Portland some day. I love everything about that city!

Our team started the race at 10:30am on Friday morning and finished at 4:00pm on Saturday. There was someone running from our team during that entire time. We each ran three legs, spaced anywhere between 8-12 hours apart, and covering anywhere between 15-20 miles total. We ran in the sun, in the rain, during the day, at night, in the cold, in the hot, through trees, down mountains, and finally ended at the beach. It was an unforgettable weekend.

We were lucky enough to run on our friend Chris' family team. His dad has run the Hood to Coast 20 consecutive years. He says this year was his last...but we'll see! I wouldn't put it past Romney to run again next year!

I love this video because it captures so much of the spirit of the race.





























Thanks Burke family for letting us be a part of such an awesome event. And Katie...watch out...you are SO running with us next year!

8 comments:

Three Lads and a Lis said...

awesome! My mom ran it one year - she loved it and I hope to run it someday too. P-Town is so glorious, isn't it? I hardly knew what I had in my back yard growing up :) (I grew up in Vancouver, just across the river). I could see myself living there someday too!

Annette said...

I am SOOO jealous! It is a very cool race and I'm dying to do the full thing. I would love to hear ALL the details of your racing legs, etc. Portland is great, I would love to live there myself.

Burke family said...

First of all, I'm soooo not running! Nice try! But I'm glad you loved it. Secondly, I'm so glad you've agreed you want to live in Portland. Let's just dream about our houses next to each other on the river. You can teach my kids piano, I'll do preschool for yours and we'll have the best time together. Now let's tell these boys of ours to make it happen. :)

Rebecca said...

Looks like a fun adventure!! I'm sad I didn't get to see you and Ben up at Bear Lake... dumb work just gets in the way!!!

Nat said...

That's so much fun! My parents have done that race many times. What a fun, adventurous thing to do.

Erica said...

You guys have become extreme! This looks really cool! I am jealous that you and Ben have something you both are so passionatly into that you do together. What a cool experience!

Kirby said...

So fun!! Scott's family used to do this race. I so want to do it someday! Who knows, we may be neighbors in Portland someday!

DMC Studios said...

You are totally legit. Where's a pic of you running? I agree with Annette and say let's hear all the details of your legs...bc if you don't record them you'll probably forget! I don't remember much about the Ragnar, mostly that I needed to keep David awake or we'd all die and the best quote ever, "I need.....MUSIC!"

Great job!