Friday, September 26, 2008

Facing reality...

So I have to say I've been going through some serious blonde hair withdrawal lately. Due to some significant laptop malfunctions we were forced to buy a new computer a couple of weeks ago, and since, have been transferring all of our pictures over. This process has cause some serious reflection regarding the ever important topic of hair color. I think the bottom line is this....blonde is better! Not cheaper that is....just better! It's been so nice only having to get my color done every three or four months since going dark, versus every 6-8 weeks with the blonde, and it's definitely been cheaper, and more efficient with my time (can anyone explain why my hair girl thinks she needs to take four hours on my hair each time I go in for an appointment....who has that kind of time for HAIR) but I just don't like being dark as much! So I'm embracing the inevitable....and going back to blonde. Unfortunately I made this decision the day AFTER getting my dark redone, so it won't happen for a couple of months....but somehow if I verbalize the decision, I feel like I'm closer to having it be a reality! If only I could have been a natural blonde. Answer me this....If Ben has red hair, and I have brown hair, what are the chances our kids will be blonde??? I'm crossing my fingers at least!

(Below is proof that blonde is better)





In other news...we went to the Shelburne Farms harvest festival on Saturday along with the entire town of Shelburne....and all of the Mormons in town. Seriously....everywhere I turned there were more Mormons! If people only knew, I think they might be worried we were going to take over the town. It was such a cute festival with tons of great activities for kids. So yeah.....we felt totally out of place!! Despite looking a little foolish attending the festivities without kids, we did score some awesome food...what can top Vermont grilled cheese sandwiches and caramel apples?? Who needs kids to enjoy good food!



Finally...probably the highlight of my week was making a kid cry at their piano lesson. Ok, not really, I actually felt pretty bad. But let me tell you, it was way better than the time a kid peed his pants in lesson. I mean honestly, how do you respond to that! I felt bad for weeks....since I told him he couldn't go to the bathroom because we only had two minutes left in the lesson. I learned my lesson the hard way.....ALWAYS let kids use the bathroom when they ask!
Anyway, I didn't actually do anything mean to this little girl on Tuesday who started bawling out of the blue. I simply asked her to put the song we had been practicing hands apart, hands together. Next thing I know, she's doing it perfectly, but there are tears streaming down her face and she's doing the little hyperventilating sob thing! I asked her what was wrong and she simply said "It's just TOO hard." Ok...cause that makes sense. She did it perfectly....the FIRST TIME...but "it's just too hard." Man.....these kids kill me. I really do love them, but on occasion, they're pretty ridiculous. It wouldn't have been a big deal and I would have been a little nicer if she didn't have a history of crying EVERY WEEK! I'm pretty sure crying is code for "I don't want to do this, and if I cry, maybe I won't have to." She seems pretty well trained in the art of crying, but I don't really buy it.

Enough with the rants...I'm so looking forward to the weekend! I'm hoping for great weather on Saturday so we can go for a fall bike ride, and check out a new breakfast place called "On the Rise." It's supposed to be pretty great!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I think that you look good either way hun! I know how you feel though. My hair was dark and two hundred dollars later we finally got it back blonde, well light brown. Its going to take a while to get back to blonde!

Helena said...

I like it dark!

Anonymous said...

I am with Helena...I love how you have had it the past few months, Heather. No, Seriously, it is so sophisticated, classy and downright HOT! I am not kidding...I think it's beautiful with your skin tone. I'd be sad to see the beautiful dark brown evaporate into the hands of that girl at S&Bs! I was going to ask you if I could photograph you sometime..before you do this "blonde" thing...lemme know!

Unknown said...

I vaguely remember your hair blonde. I liked it, but it's been a long time. I had ultra dark hair when we moved out here and I had to go back to blonde because I hated it so much. (Four hours - SERIOUSLY!!)

Shelburne Farms was so fun, it was fun to see you there. If you ever want to feel like 'part of the in crowd' feel free to take my kids! :)

When I taught school I made kids cry (and wet themselves) more than once. Sad to say, but sometimes you need that to happen so that the kid knows you are in charge and you can adjust your standards to meet their needs.

Three Lads and a Lis said...

i think you make a gorgeous blonde and burnett - I prefer the dark, but that's just me... YOU have to be happy!!!

April said...

What up Davidson? That's right, I blog stalk you sometimes. Anyway, I'll add my 2 cents since everyone says they like your hair dark. I personally agree with you that blond is cuter on you. I mean you look cute either way, but I think blond kind of lightens you up and it's good with your tan complexion. (BTW, do you go tanning? I love going tanning but haven't done it lately in an effort to take better care of my skin... but then I hate being white, so I think I might start tanning again.) Hair dyeing is an expensive hobby, but if you like it you gotta do it. After all, you served a mission and wore jodies for a year and a half, so that entitles you to spend as much money as you want to look beautiful. Love, Wilde.

Leanne said...

I just thought I'd remind you that in your family when dark hair is mixed with red hair, somehow it produces blonde children. Of course the sample size is pretty limited, but there is hope for blonde children (and apparently Collin says it's pretty good being blonde). As for your hair, I like it boths ways.

Leanne said...

And by "boths ways" I mean both ways!

Ryan Smart said...

Luckily you look great with both colors--Erica always says she wants to try dark hair--nope, I like blondes better. I also like controlling my wife and making kids pee their pants too! In fact I think I'm going to go step on a baby (Ben will understand). Don't listen to the liars that say they like you better dark...it's a lie :) just kidding--just be happy you have hair--mine is going away so quickly. Can't wait to see you guys at Christmas, ni importa el color de tu pelo.

Julianne said...

Ha! Hilarious pee and sob stories at piano lessons! Seriously, kids are so weird sometimes! I'm nervous to see what kind of weirdos Ryan and I are going to turn out...

Anyway, I like the dark hair, but I also like the light. I think the blond, with it shorter, makes you look older. The dark I think is a more serious look, and classy. I don't know. They both look good.

Your biology/Punnett Square question of your odds of getting a blond baby is too hard for me. Good luck with that.

Erica said...

I love that you have been making your kids cry! I wish I could make my primary kids cry because I don't even like them! You like your kids and you still make them cry! That is a talent! I like you with brown hair! But I also like the long hair on you so I am excited to see you with long blonde hair! You will be SO hot!

DMC Studios said...

Dude. I have called you like 3 times in the past 2 months and have gotten no answer. Did you change your number and not tell me? I am slightly offended.

Now I am over it.

I like blonde and short OR dark and medium length. Maybe go for the popcorn look again...I liked it. Where's a picture of that on your blog? It's necessary. I have an appointment tomorrow for new highlights...'member how we always said it is SOOO hard to like your hair once you make the appointment to give it a facelift? I'm so feeling that right now.

Laura Roberts said...

Oh it is so good to hear Heather lingo again now that I have the internet and can read about all the fun! I just loved the blonde comments, Heather. They take me back to the good ol days at Liberty Square! I'm excited to be able to keep in touch better now!

Mike and Kristin said...

Heather you crack me up! I have always been a little frightened of you at times, although it never came to wet pants or cheeks. J/K you are the last person I would ever expect to make a child cry or wee.